Iona basketball kicks off the 2012-2013 season in New Rochelle on November 9 against Denver. From that first game on, the Gaels will attempt to keep pace with the expectations set by last season's squad. They'll need to replace 72% of last season's minutes with the contributions of two incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Iona will be on defense, as the team lost 87.3% of their shot blocking. That's followed by assists, where they drop another massive 81.8% from last season.
Iona finished with a final overall record of 24-6 last season, winning the MAAC with their 15-3 conference record. In the postseason, the Gaels were booted from the MAAC tournament by Fairfield, 85-75. They then went to the NCAA Tournament as a #14 seed, losing in the opening round to Brigham Young, 78-72. Iona lost last year's seniors Scott Machado (35 minutes per game), Mike Glover (33 MPG), Randy Dezouvre (16 MPG), Jermel Jenkins (13 MPG), and Trinity Fields (3 MPG). The Gaels will also go without Kyle Smyth (transferred to Seton Hall), Sean Armand (18 MPG), Ra`Shad James (7 MPG), and Josh Gomez (3 MPG).
The Gaels get back senior Lamont Jones (15.7 points/game), senior Taaj Ridley (6.7 points/game), and senior Nyandigsi Moikubo (0.9 points/game).
Incoming freshmen joining the Gaels include 6-4 A.J. English and 6-5 Grant Ellis. Other players joining the team include 6-8 junior DeSean Anderson, 5-9 sophomore Tavon Sledge (transferred from Iowa State), 6-2 junior DaShawn Gomez, 6-9 junior Shawn Jackson, 6-8 sophomore David Laury, and 6-4 junior Sean Armand. The first MAAC game for Iona is against Niagara on November 28th.
Tags: Scott Machado
- Iona has had 3 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Iona has an overall winning percentage of 51.9%. The Gaels have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 57.9%.
- The Gaels have an average conference finish of 4.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.9.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 177.3.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is St. Joseph's (PA) (#74).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Canisius (#333).
- The last time Iona returned less than 23% of the team's statistical production was 2006-2007.
, Mike Glover
, Randy Dezouvre
, Jermel Jenkins
, Trinity Fields
, Kyle Smyth
, Sean Armand
, Ra`Shad James
, Josh Gomez
, Lamont Jones
, Taaj Ridley
, Nyandigsi Moikubo
, A.J. English
, Grant Ellis
, DeSean Anderson
, Tavon Sledge
, DaShawn Gomez
, Shawn Jackson
, David Laury
, Sean Armand
, Tre Bowman
, Curtis Dennis