In Jersey City on December 5th the Gaels suffered a close loss to the Peacocks in conference play, 64-62. Iona kept it together early, and went into halftime up 31-21. St. Peter's was able to take it back in the second half for the win.
The expectation was that the Gaels could win this game. Last season, Iona went 2-0 against St. Peter's. Over the last four years, the Gaels have a record of 5-5 with a record of 3-2 at Yanitelli Center. Iona has a winning record over St. Peter's going back to 1980, 44-29.
St. Peter's won statistical battles in assists and three pointers. St. Peter's drained three-pointers for 15 insurmountable points, compared to 12 for Iona. Assists were a factor for St. Peter's, with 13 compared to 10 for Iona.
Sean Armand led the losing effort for the Gaels with 19 points on 50% shooting in 37 minutes. While it's still early, the Gaels have slipped to 3-3. They're now 5th in the MAAC and their conference record falls to 1-1. This makes 3 losses in their last 5 games.
The Gaels are coming up on Rutgers on December 8th.
- Iona has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 2 or fewer blocks.
- Sean Armand has led the team in scoring in 3 out of 6 games this season.
- The top two rebounders (Sean Armand and Tre Bowman) accounted for 44.4% of the rebounds.
- Iona started 3-3 during the 2010, 1999, and 1998 seasons (since 1996).
- Sean Armand accounted for 30.6% of the team's points.
- Desi Washington tallied a team season high in steals with 4.
- Darius Conley has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 8 games this season.
- The top two scorers (Darius Conley and Blaise Ffrench) accounted for 53.1% of the points.
- Desi Washington set a career high with 4 steals.
- Desi Washington has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Sean Armand