Everything fell into place in New Rochelle as the Gaels beat the Purple Eagles, 83-72.
Some notes regarding this game: The Gaels are playing amazing at home, and the Purple Eagles weren't so hot coming in (2 for 5). Last year, Iona was 2-0 against Niagara. Over the last four years, the Gaels have a record of 8-2 with a record of 4-0 at Hynes Athletic Center. Iona has a winning record over Niagara going back to 1980, 34-19.
Iona was able to best Niagara in three pointers and free throw shooting.
Foul shooting led to the win, with 71% shooting by the Gaels compared to only 10 by the Purple Eagles. Iona drained threes, hitting a total of 36 points from beyond the arc compared to 18 by Niagara.
Sean Armand was the high scorer for the Gaels with 18 points on 50% shooting in 38 minutes, including 12 points from behind the 3-point line. Armand also helped out with a game-leading 11 rebounds.
The Gaels record just got better (3-2) and our early expectations are positive. Opening MAAC play with a victory is always a great way to kick off the conference schedule.
Next up is St. Peter's on the road on December 5th.
- The top two rebounders (Sean Armand and Tavon Sledge) accounted for 44.7% of the rebounds.
- The top two scorers (Sean Armand and Curtis Dennis) accounted for 42.1% of the points.
- Curtis Dennis had a career high with 5 three pointers.
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:55 left to go.
- Sean Armand recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
Niagara Game Notes:
- Ameen Tanksley recorded the 5th double digit rebound game of his career.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Antoine Mason's career.
- Niagara lost and did not cover the spread.
- Antoine Mason accounted for 33.3% of the team's points.
- Juan`ya Green has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Sean Armand