Iona began a very promising season with a win. In New Rochelle on November 9th the Gaels beat the Pioneers, 65-58.
A note on this pairing: A year ago, Iona won 80-78.
Iona was able to outplay Denver in three-point shooting and defensive rebounding.
Iona used its advantage on the boards to generate more possessions with a total of 20 defensive rebounds to their 15. Iona leaned on three-pointers for the win and made 50% of them as opposed to 27% for Denver.
Lamont Jones put up the most points for the Gaels with 20 points in 40 minutes, shooting 46% from the floor. Jones was also a factor with a game-leading seven assists.
Congrats to Iona on the early season victory over Denver, which should help meet preseason expectations.
Up next the Gaels face Quinnipiac on November 16th.
- Taaj Ridley had a career high with a 100% field goal percentage.
- Iona started 1-0 during the 2009, 2008, 2005, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1997, and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- Iona beat the spread by 4.0 points.
- Lamont Jones accounted for 30.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Tavon Sledge and Taaj Ridley) accounted for 44.4% of the rebounds.
Denver Game Notes:
- Chris Udofia accounted for 34.4% of the team's points.
- Denver lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Udofia and Blake Foeman) accounted for 50.0% of the rebounds.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Lamont Jones