On November 17th at a neutral site, the Gaels waxed the Demon Deacons, 94-68. Everything went right from the beginning, and Iona went into the locker room up big, 54-24. It was enough to close the door, and Wake Forest could not muster a comeback.
Sean Armand was the leading scorer for the Gaels with 28 points in 33 minutes, 21 of those points coming from three-point range. Lamont Jones had a game-high six assists to lend a hand in the victory.
This was a game the Gaels were supposed to win, but they played better than predicted and won by a bigger margin than expected.
Iona gained an advantage by coming out way ahead in shooting and assists.
The Gaels, with 52% shooting and a solid defense, were too much for the Demon Deacons, who could only muster 37%. The 23 assists from Iona outpaced the 10 by Wake Forest.
|C+||A. Adala Moto||16||7||3||2||0||0||3|
|C-||A. Roundtree III||9||2||2||0||0||0||0|
All in all, this was a good early win for Iona. If it is looking to outperform preseason expectations, this game is a good start. The Gaels are now 2-1 with a lot of basketball yet to be played.
Next on the schedule the Gaels face Niagara at home on November 28th.
- The top two scorers (Sean Armand and Lamont Jones) accounted for 52.1% of the points.
- Iona beat the spread by 22.5 points. That makes the 2nd time this season the Gaels have beat the spread.
- Iona started 2-1 during the 2011, 2008, 2004, 2002, 1998, and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 15:23 left to go.
- Sean Armand has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Wake Forest Game Notes:
- C.J. Harris has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Travis McKie has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- The top two rebounders (Devin Thomas and Travis McKie) accounted for 41.1% of the rebounds.
- Wake Forest lost and did not cover the spread.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Sean Armand
, Lamont Jones